Our Wake Up Shake Up programme provides you with a very easy way to introduce daily activity into your school without impacting on your (the teachers’) time, as it is all done for you!
It engages children of all ages in a fun and lively way, as they learn easy routines to pop music and have a great time! So long as they do a ‘cool-down’, a calming activity to finish, they will approach their class work re-energised and in a ‘state of readiness to learn’.
Where it has been taking place regularly over a long and sustained period of time, schools have reported an impact in the following areas:-
- Enjoyment of school life and a sense of well-being (staff too!)
- Improved self-esteem impacting on other curriculum areas: ‘success breeds success’
- Improved co-ordination (gross motor skills then impacting on fine motor skills)
- Improved rhythm and timing ( this has helped with music and dance lessons)
- Improved concentration and application to tasks immediately after the brief exercise session
- Increased stamina
- Improved behaviour (“when done at the end of lunchtime, playground squabbles are forgotten and afternoon class is much better”)
- Improved hydration (children get thirsty and WANT to drink more)
How long does it take?
It can take between 5-10 minutes, shorter or longer to suit your circumstances.
Where can you do it, and when?
Anywhere…on the playground, or field, or in the school hall or even in the classroom.
And anytime…before school, or as part of a healthy snack break mid-morning, or at the end of lunchtime (part of a behaviour management strategy which proved very successful), or in the classroom whenever concentration is flagging and the children need an injection of energy and oxygen. Many schools also run an after-school Wake Up Shake Up club, where young leaders make up new routines to teach to their peers or it’s just a fun aerobics session led by a teacher or interested adult and open for anyone to attend.